The Australasian College of Dermatologists is a specialist medical college, accredited by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) for the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) as the sole provider of training across Australia for medical practitioners proceeding to become specialist dermatologists.
It is the peak national professional body for dermatologists, and the leading authority on skin health in Australia. It is a trusted source of information, evidence, analysis, and advice to the public, other professions, the media, and Federal and State Governments for issues of skin, hair, and nails for children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly.
The Membership and Marketing Manager is a new role in the College. In the past those training through College became members upon graduating and member services functions were managed across several portfolios. This role will unify those and is key to strengthening and growing the profession.
The Membership & Marketing Manager will focus on enhancing the existing member experience over the duration of their whole career, and developing, implementing and reviewing an effective and sustainable membership program. The profession is growing, become younger, and is increasingly sub-specialising. It requires programs and communications tailored to drive up member engagement across the membership resulting in a tangibly felt rise in the member value proposition.
In addition, the Membership & Marketing Manager will be responsible for leading the College towards a new membership strategy that might include creating new membership types or relationships with like-minded individuals and corporate partners to better enhance skin health outcomes for the public and to strengthen and deepen a broader professional community that enhances the visibility and reputation of the profession for its long term viability. This aims also to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the association by strategically developing new and diversified income streams.
Marketing the College to those who may wish to be members following Board and member acceptance of such change requires the development of member application and renewal systems. A member growth strategy can emerge carefully over time and be scoped out for possible future additional resource requirements depending on the initial rate of growth.
This represents an important cultural shift. Strategic and creative opportunities need to be backed up by careful tactical execution to ensure members are accepting with the organisation’s new strategic direction.
The person undertaking this senior role must be able to think strategically and execute tactically. They will join the leadership team of four within a staff of around 20. The staff are a close nit team. The College is a relatively small body with the exact same remit as larger colleges with larger membership bases and revenue sources, so there is a requirement to hold a broad portfolio, work smartly with colleagues cross functionally and innovate to diversify revenue streams. In the last 10 years a faster rate of growth has brought a younger base of professionals within a more traditional structure. There is a requirement to deeply understand the profession and its history as it builds and diversifies. Sensitivity to the member diversity is critical.This role also includes reviewing past efforts of marketing the profession of dermatology to the public and to key stakeholders. The role shall lead the creation, acceptance and execution of a new marketing strategy linked in with a communications strategy. This work overlaps with the separately staffed community engagement function and the social media presence of College.
The role has responsibility for all member services including ensuring existing services are delivering member value, developing new services to meet member needs, enhancing the member experience, and diversifying revenue streams.
The scope of this role includes oversight of the delivery of a successful annual conference through effective liaison with the external Professional Conference Organiser (PCO), and internally any other member events or subspecialty events as the College grows with the help of an events and marketing support officer.
- This position will hold accountability in relation to the following areas:
- To ensure the College runs a successful and sustainable membership program.
- To build a strong and enduring sense of community within the College membership.
- To ensure the leadership of the College is abreast of issues and to actively participate in the strategy development.
- To ensure the college has a brand, communications, and profession marketing strategy effectively positions the College to stakeholders.
- Ensure the College events are successful for members and the college through development of the strategic and management of the Professional Conference Organiser.
- Assist to develop strategies that will enable the College to diversify its revenue streams to ensure the College’s future sustainability.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a membership practitioner with a proven track record of success within a member-based environment.
- Experience in driving culture change to embed new member categories
- Experience in delivering member attraction and retention outcomes
- Expertise in marketing and communications programs and processes including integrated campaigns, online marketing, direct mail, print production, and campaign reporting
- Experience in media and PR.
- Experience working with membership databases and their design.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Experience in developing and delivering high-quality event programs.
- Exposure working with committees and members.
- High level organisational ability including the use of effective time management and ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create collaborative networks.
- Strong strategic analysis and planning skills.
- Ability to deliver innovative and industry leader solutions and initiatives.
- Ability to work under pressure and with competing deadlines and priorities.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- High level negotiation and influencing skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- High level of commercial acumen.
- Strong level strategic and analytical thinking.
- The ability to work effectively within a cross-functional, dynamic environment.
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- Certified Association Executive and other association specific qualification will be viewed positively
Enquiries and applications to Belinda Moore by emailing email@example.com. Please send a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role and a copy of your resume.